Strictly for my friends

Monday, June 19, 2006

Phenomenal Woman


This is a poem I came across that struck me like not many others have in a long time. It's great! Written by Maya Angelou. Read on!

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size.
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.

I'm a womanPhenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,That's me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.

I'm a womanPhenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say,It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.

I'm a womanPhenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need of my care,

'Cause I'm a womanPhenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,That's me.


.....Maya Angelou

18 Comments:

  • All women should feel like Maya.

    Pheynomenally women ! I like it.

    By Blogger Prash, at 6:21 am  

  • Fantastic!
    Smooth Like an apple pie !!
    You have taste.

    By Blogger jac, at 8:04 am  

  • @ prash,jac

    Thanks!

    By Blogger Strictly for my friends, at 12:11 pm  

  • makes one feel good about almost anything! fantastic!

    By Blogger m.reza, at 6:47 pm  

  • There are several other poems of Maya Angelou which are excellent.This one a favourite among all us women!

    By Blogger Sumitha, at 9:56 pm  

  • That is a beautiful poem .I am a big fan of Maya Angelou also.

    By Blogger starry, at 3:11 am  

  • Great stuff...

    By Blogger Kuan Gung, at 10:20 am  

  • Thanks for this- it is very true. Women need to embrace who they are instead of stressing over their looks constantly. We have a gift of nurturing that we often don't use to the fullest as women.

    Have a great weekend!

    By Blogger Trailady, at 5:14 pm  

  • @reza,sumitha, kuan, starry, trailady,

    Thanks. I loved the poem too. Have a great weekend. I know I'm planning to.

    By Blogger Strictly for my friends, at 6:28 pm  

  • haha cool one. all phenomenally woman huh :)

    By Blogger AJ ! Serendipity !!!, at 10:54 pm  

  • 'Cause I'm a womanPhenomenally.
    Phenomenal woman,That's me.

    Great thought...wait hold that thought if you're a woman...she's a wonderfull poet...thank you

    By Blogger Kuan Gung, at 8:27 am  

  • Nice...The nystery is always a mystery and I love tht aspect...Wht is it if everything is visible, a little bit of mystery always gives me a kick!! Wonderful poem! :)

    By Blogger SCRIBBLEZ TO WAKEUP, at 7:25 pm  

  • I have read that poem many times.
    I have many of Maya Angelou's books. She is an amazing woman and
    writer.
    Thanks for sharing that poem

    By Blogger Margie, at 10:07 am  

  • Great poem. I like it, I love it! I want some more of it!!

    Womanhood has been something I've grown into over time. (I had a lot of miserable role-models who made womanhood seem like a drudgery and something to be ashamed of.)

    God has blessed me with a son and three beautiful daughters. My girls have taught me to accept the beauty of womanhood and not to be afraid to be feminine.

    I believe the power of a woman is not in trying to make herself a man, or equal to him in every way, but in being all we were created to be. We are by nature nurturers. Man should find comfort in us and in return honor us. We carry & bear children, nourish them from our breasts, hold them close when they fall, teach them the ways to live and finally let them go out into the big world knowing we will always be there for them. If this is not strength, I don't know what is!!!

    By Blogger Trailady, at 11:54 pm  

  • She is truly one of the greats. Always loved this poem!

    By Blogger Pat Paulk, at 7:18 pm  

  • my students (it was an all-girls class!) dedicated their class magazine to this phenomenal writer of substance, last year. we even have a poster of her "Still I Rise" stuck on our walls - for the motivational impact, thats often delivered without fail.

    :)

    By Blogger Movie Mazaa, at 3:53 pm  

  • It is really beautiful...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:25 pm  

  • wow! nice:)

    By Blogger teacup, at 2:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home