Strictly for my friends

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Perseverance is the name of the game

Every morning, on my way to work, I pass a park. And every day, I see a strange sight. There, in the middle of the vast field is this tiny little man, stretching and exercising away. He seems completely oblivious to everyone around him. The other people in the park, the people in the bust stop right in front of him, people in the buses and cars passing him by. All staring at him...at the unusual sight.
He catches my eye everyday and I marvel at his tenacity. Dressed in a footballer's attire, even at 9:30 in the morning, when everybody is about their business, his fellow footballers have obviously called it a day, he practices his moves and practices on. I look on fascinated from my window seat in the bus and my mind weaves stories around him.
He is the dwarf G who has been taken into the team recently. Laughed and jeered at by the rest for his short stature, he has a point to prove. G practices an extra three hours every day to make up for his disadvantage. He has to prove to the coach that his decision wasn't wrong. So come sun, rain or cold, he's out there practicing.
That story was a figment of my fascination, but there is no denying that there is something in the little guy that made me feel respect for him and his single mindedness. Hat's off to the perseverance and discipline that he embodies for me. Not many people have it, whether it is because of a disadvantage or otherwise. I wish fervently that I had even an ounce of the self will he obviously does.

6 Comments:

  • I wish fervently that I had even an ounce of the self will he obviously does.

    You know we all have it in us. we just don't know it, we often sell ourselves short.

    I used to think so, but when I look back at my life I do go.. wow I was able to do that and not give up?
    Liked the post.

    By Blogger karmic, at 12:53 am  

  • I want to be like that. And I will be.

    /nrfsm

    By Blogger Layfield, at 1:29 am  

  • @ talking contradiction

    ok, you got me!you're related to J.U. somehow, but I can't place you. Ke tumi he?

    @Thanks Karmic. We all have it in us. Just got to search a little bit harder.

    @Yes Jetru, Im sure you will. Just as I think I will....some day. :-)

    By Blogger Strictly for my friends, at 10:15 am  

  • U observe people which is very good most of us just pass by :) keep it up
    And I know its just for your friends but.

    By Blogger tanvi, at 3:56 pm  

  • I have seen similar folks at the park during my walks too and I have always wanted to be as wanton as them ,wanting to do my crazy stuff and not bother abt wat others thought.:)
    I just met pushi and fed him too..so cute:))

    By Blogger Scoot, at 9:50 pm  

  • @ tanvi

    I dont claim to be very observant, but some things just seem to catch my eye sometimes. and as my profile says,strictly for my friends, but like minded people allowed too. you're most welcome here. :))

    @ maya

    Glad you liked pushi. "She" is quite a sweetheart! Just cant see her as a "he"!

    By Blogger Strictly for my friends, at 10:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home