Strictly for my friends

Monday, June 12, 2006

Another Observation

I was sitting in my usual bus coming to office. Happy in my complacency, I was looking out of the window when I heard a popular hindi number being sung in the bus accompanied by an odd clicking sound. I looked around and there was this young boy of five or six, singing his lungs out.

He looked like he hadn't taken a bath in a week and his clothes were torn and tattered. In Calcutta, beggars are a dime a dozen everywhere. And he was no exception at first look. It was then that I noticed his eyes. Large and sad. That six year old looked as if he had seen all the sorrows the world had to offer. Somewhere somehow, my heart strings were being played upon by his voice.

His voice was cracked with singing so much. He just couldnt bring himself to sing the high notes even though his efforts were sincere. And the instrument to help him keep beat were two peices of sharpened stone that he beat against each other.

I was touched by the dignity in his bearing. He did not beg. He was trying to earn his living at five. Even after he had finished singing, he went from passenger to passenger, never uttering a word, just...looking.I helped him out with a ten rupee note, even though I don't give beggars alms by principle. And yet, it seemed so inadequate. The cracked voice and the staccato rhythm of the stones seem to haunt me. And every time, I see a beggar boy now, I see his eyes.

7 Comments:

  • hemmm...you discovered the music of life. How unbalanced, unfair life is...but we go on. They will too...but they do need a hand. U did an admirable thing.

    By Blogger gP, at 2:47 pm  

  • Well as they say real melody comes in with pain.
    Aise bhi bong land is famous for its musical heritage.

    By Blogger Ankit, at 7:49 pm  

  • That was a nice thing you did, atleast he is earning his living at such a tender age. maybe he will develop his talent and become a great singer one day, we never know.

    By Blogger starry, at 3:12 am  

  • I know what you mean.there is so much talent and hard work in our children.It's a pity that so many have to suffer and not be able to experience a proper childhood.they have to grow up before their time.:(

    By Blogger Scoot, at 5:13 am  

  • travelling extensively in buses in delhi, I saw this quite often. It was another matter that I myself used to travel with 10 bucks in my pocket, but the situation was pretty moving. At that point of time, all I could say to myself was that I shall do something - and I do make it a point to give away a li'l bit of what i earn.... as and when I shall earn more, that share would go up as well ..

    By Blogger Anshuman, at 4:36 pm  

  • Yes, the eyes.
    It is said that even a smile is not a smile if it is not through your eyes

    By Blogger jac, at 8:50 pm  

  • Very moving.

    By Blogger David, at 1:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home